Voice of An Ancestor (originally written April 13 2019)


I rise at dawn just before the sun comes up from behind a rise in the distance. I woke from the sound of the rooster - it’s call breaking the silence as the darkness begins to fade and welcoming the sounds of so many birds - I hear them, the Cardinal, the Blue Jay, the Redwinged Blackbird - starting the chorus as if the rooster were the conductor and signaled it was okay to begin this day’s song. I notice my husband has already risen, I hear the faint sound of the tractor starting back towards the house. I pull my hair into a bun and quickly dress - my slip, and stockings, my dress neatly pressed and starched and head to the kitchen where I slide the black cast iron out and plop a lump of lard into the pan and I light the stove all while grabbing my apron and putting it on.  Water is in the kettle, I quickly lift and replace it once I am certain it will hold enough water then walk to the fridge to grab a jug of cider left over from last year’s press. I will check the root cellar later to see how much is left. The pan is ready as I grab a couple of eggs from yesterday’s gather - the hens are starting to lay more as spring is here. I will have to start a collection to take to town for sale. I hear Merion come in the screen door slapping as he yells Mother, I will be in to breakfast shortly - I hear the sounds of the sink in the bathroom as he begins to wash. I turn to the kettle whistling loudly - and remove it from the flame as I crack and drop two eggs into the sizzling lard - there may be a piece of ham left in the fridge from last night, I will add that.  Reaching into the bread box I grab the loaf of bread - cutting a couple of slices with the bread knife and noting that I will need to make a couple of loaves today. Merion walks into the kitchen and sits down - Mother, will you be putting in seeds today?  I answer that I may do just that.  Also the starts downstairs are nearly ready for planting as well - I ask - do you think we will have one more frost? He responds that according to the Farmer’s Almanac some planting will probably be okay over the next couple of days.  I mention the pear tree to the north is not looking particularly well and he says he will take a look. Setting the breakfast down in front of him he glances up and I sit down, we hold hands - Our Almighty Father in heaven, bless us for thy bounty before us and save us from the evil one - watch over our children in their homes this day and safe travels to my brother as he leaves for Missouri today - Amen - we raise our heads and he digs in - fried eggs, slab of ham and toast with some instant coffee black - Mother, is there any apple butter left? I rise to retreive it and bring it back to the table. I watch him eat and think about what I may have later - maybe some toast. He finishes and heads back out the door - screen door smacking on the way out. He yells that he will be back for dinner about 11:30am and he may bring Stewart to join them. I settle back into the kitchen chair and take a look around the kitchen. Where to begin my day? Perhaps once I finish the dishes I’ll start a roast in the oven.  There still may be a few potatoes and carrots in the root cellar - I’ll take some notes while I am there.  It is getting to be the time when I will need to supplement our meals with a trip to town for groceries. I’ll ask my sister to dinner as well - Florabelle may also want to join me on a trip to town. At dinner I’ll ask Merion if the truck has enough fuel to get to town and back.  I put the dishes in the sink and pour myself a glass of apple cider - I add a pinch of butter to the cast iron to toast my bread. I know I have a toaster, but I have always felt that doing it the way my mother did tastes best. Once I’ve eaten I grab the basket from the table near the back door and head out to gather eggs and take inventory. Maxine! I hear a yell from up the rise - it’s my sister walking over from her farm next door. I stop and lift a hand to wave, the air is slightly damp and I realize I forgot to change my shoes before walking so my feet are wet from the morning dew. I gaze over my shoulder towards our red brick house and see that the windows will need a wash to remove the residue of the winter - and there looks to be a scrape by the ledge that will need touched up with a little paint.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memory of a Photograph (written March 19 2019)

10 Things (written 4/4/2019)

New Year's Resolutions (1/10/2021)