A Memory of my Grandfather (April 2020)

#inandoutoffocus - Poetry prompt from 30/30 - National Poetry Month - one poem a day


The image is blurred

But when I zoom in

I can see my grandfather’s face

Jawline set

Eyes flashing

As if there is a fire

In him he cannot contain

No smile

Nothing to show his feelings

He is surrounded by grandchildren 

Curious how disconnected

He seems

There is a sadness 

And a haunting look

To his serious face

But when you look at

The whole picture 

It looks like a family

Gathered for fun and food

When I remember him

He rarely smiled

His voice slightly gravelly

Serious and stern

I was only 17 when he died

My heart ached

At the thought of never

Seeing him again

Those rare times he did smile

It lit up his whole face

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memory of a Photograph (written March 19 2019)

10 Things (written 4/4/2019)

New Year's Resolutions (1/10/2021)