Does She Know Me? (30/30 Challenge 2019)


Write a poem that asks and answers a question...when I post these 30/30 or 61/61 - these are based on a challenge for National Poetry Month (April) to write a poem a day - and this is a group on Facebook. The prompt is shared early in the day (or at some point the night before). For most of these I wrote them on my notes app on my phone and then transferred them to a document on my computer later. I participated in 2019 and in 2020 - and the group decided to stretch it from 30/30 to 61/61 due to COVID and the pandemic.



Does she know me?

There are times 

she smiles

But her smile 

doesn’t quite 

Reach her eyes

That politeness 

Ingrained in her

To not show hurt

Or sorrow 

or weakness 

A resource 

at her command

I take her hand

She draws back but

Quickly recovers 

and looks at me

Does she see me?

Those kind eyes that have

Stared into mine across

The kitchen table

Asking about my life

My hopes and dreams

Over a cup of coffee

And cookies

Is she okay in there?

Wherever she may be

Thinking of life

Of loss

Of children 

Of grandchildren

Of peace

I believe 

The answer is no

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Memory of a Photograph (written March 19 2019)

10 Things (written 4/4/2019)

New Year's Resolutions (1/10/2021)