Writing Prompt - I am a cloud, rock, fish - May 8, 2021


 I am a rock, sitting on the banks of the river.

Wondering when I can jump in

It is more likely that I will be dropped in or skipped in

But I sit, nestled in the bits of green grass and brush

The river is just below me

One more hard rain and my perch could be washing into the rushing river

The river flows by

Sometimes it is fast and furious, dragging items along with it

White caps and logs and debris

Other times it is quite quiet, meandering along with no real purpose or direction

Kept within its river banks

But it hasn't taken me along yet

I see the larger rocks

The one the dipper uses to stand and dip his head and body into the cold clear water

He shakes the river up and over only to have it drip off in beads and return to the river

I'm often warmed by the sun on a sunny day

Someone sat on me the other day

And wrote a poem about the river

They ate a sandwich and stared out into the river

Almost longing to be in it as much as I


Today I am grateful to be a godparent - my goddaughter is 23 today and graduated from college! I am so grateful of the time we were able to spend together when she was young. I have not been physically present in her life, but I am always here if she needs me and I think of her every day. Congrats Katy! I love you and miss you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memory of a Photograph (written March 19 2019)

10 Things (written 4/4/2019)

New Year's Resolutions (1/10/2021)